STYSA Policy Adopted February 2004: STYSA and its member associations agree to the following Volunteer Standards
(See Glossary for definitions below):
Score the applicant as ELIGIBLE if the following conditions are present on the Criminal Background Check:
- No record found
- Traffic or vehicle code infractions only
Score the applicant TO BE REVIEWED by STYSA KidSafe Committee if the following are present in the background check:
- Worthless checks
- DUI – less than three (see INELIGIBLE CRITERIA)
- Misdemeanor marijuana possession conviction if it has not been negotiated down from a felony charge – only if older than 1 year
- Misdemeanor convictions or misdemeanors with pending dispositions except for crimes involving: violence, weapons when used in the commissioned of a crime, deviant sexual activity
Score the applicant as INELIGIBLE pending appeal and review by the STYSA Appeals Committee if the following convictions are present on Criminal Background Check based on the timeline recommendations:
Any Felony charges with dispositions including but not limited to the following:
- No Contest
- Three or more DUI/DWI or related convictions occurring within the last five (5) years.
- Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor if convicted within the past two (2) years or two or more within the past five (5) years.
- Records with a pending disposition.
- Domestic Violence within the past year or two (2) or more within the past five (5) years.
- Any conviction (including misdemeanors) involving violence, weapons when used in the commission of a crime, deviant sexual activity, drugs (except misdemeanor marijuana possession.)
- Sale and delivery of marijuana, for amounts greater than two (2) oz, if the conviction was within the past five (5) years.
- Mob Action, if the conviction was within the past five (5) years, other than protest marches.
- Gang Activity, if the conviction for gang related activity occurred within the past (3) years.
GLOSSARY Criminal Disposition Definitions (click on here)